Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vegan Apple Cider Donuts

One of my favorite Vegetarian Times issues is the Sept 2009. It inspired me to go out and buy my donut pans. Yesterday I made some of the apple cider donuts. I love these! Nothing makes the house smell better than boiling hot apple cider! I tweaked the recipe a little, bc I like things spicy! I made 1 dozen mini and 4 large with one recipe.

The recipe is as follows:

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 cup apple cider
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer (Ener-G) {mixed with 2 Tbsp water)
1/3 cup soy milk
5 Tbsp apple butter or apple sauce
4 Tbsp vegan margarine

Boil the apple cider until it is reduced to 1/3 cup.

While this is boiling, mix all the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl

Once mixture is reduced, add margarine, apple sauce, soy milk, and egg replacer.

Mix wet mixture into dry. Pour into prepared donut pans and bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes

When donuts come out and are still hot, toss them in a sugar and cinnamon mixture. I put my sugar mixture in a tiny food processor to make the sugar very fine.

Eat and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment