Monday, October 18, 2010

Apple Pie!

For those of you that don't know, I have a love for antique things. One group of them happens to be old cookbooks. My mom was the classic 1970's mom without the drugs. Although I grew up in the 80's, the cookbook never changed! Now that I am the one who loves to cook, I got her original "I got this when I made the mistake of getting married" cookbook! Nothing excites me more than seeing the 1968 copyright date and all the oil stains from times ago. I made my apple pie over the weekend from this book and cried tears of joy baking it in my antique Mrs Smith's pie pan. Nothing in the world bakes a pie crust like these pans. My heart skips a beat when I find one at a yard sale. (which happened this weekend!).

I will share with you the pie crust. This recipe makes a top and bottom

2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
5 to 7 Tbsp cold water

Mix salt and flour, cut in shortening, add water slowly to desired consistency.  
Cut dough in half, leaving one side slightly larger for the bottom crust.
Wrap in plastic wrap
Chill until Cold!
Get baking!


Apples from Conte's Farm in Tabernacle, NJ

Go Organic! Avoid the GMO all veg shortenings

Put those scraps to use! A cute apple baked on top!

Lattice work makes a world of difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment