Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Caramel Apple Bake! Oh Nom Nom!

I have a ton of apple sitting in my dining room waiting to be turned into desserts. Today's adventure...the caramel apple bake! I found what sounded to be promising on Chooseveg.com. Anything with the word caramel in it gets me all worked up! Being vegan caramel is something you feared never eating again. Well, this cake is super simple and already half gone!

Here is the direct link to the website... http://www.chooseveg.com/display_recipe.asp?recipe=28

Now I will lay it down for you...

Apple Caramel Bake
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cups slivered almonds
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8"x 8" glass baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, apples, and almonds. Set aside. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the brown sugar, margarine, and boiling water. Stir until the butter is melted. Add the soy milk to the flour mixture. Stir well then spread into the prepared baking dish. Pour the sugar topping over the batter and bake for 40 minutes.

And now the photos...
Mixing the apples with the dry ingredients.

Pouring in the milk

Nice chunky batter!

I did not have a glass pan so I lined a metal one with foil. Worked great! I coated it with olive oil to prevent sticking!

The butter, water and brown sugar mixture sitting on top.

Fresh out of the oven!

The first piece. Look at all that ooooey gooooey caramel!

I am in <3 with this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment