Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gene Baur's lecture at Georgian Court University

I finally met him! Gene Baur that is. A man who used to sell vegan hot dogs out of a VW bus at Dead concerts to raise money to help animals. Does it get any cooler than that? Through my journey to veganism, Gene Baur has been one figure that I have always admired. He is the president and co-founder of Farm Sanctuary. I have had the pleasure of visiting the Orland,CA farm and hanging out with some very special calves! (and pigs and turkeys Oh My!) I hope to make it up to the Watkins Glenn, NY farm in the near future.

Gene spoke of animal suffering. A topic that some people are passionate about, others ignorant. He covered factory farming, battery cages, gestation crates, veal, milk, downers and more. In his book,  Farm Sanctuary Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food, you can learn the details more in depth. Reading his book motivated me to become more active in helping animals.

Take a minute to look over the Farm Sanctuary website. There are a lot of great resources there. You can visit the farm too. Take your camera and go visit the sweet babies rescued from their death beds. They hold no grudges and look forward to the smiles and snuggles that they get! (you can't help it, they are so stinkin cute!)

Also, with Thanksgiving around the corner, Farm Sanctuary offers you a chance to adopt one of their cutie-pah-tooties! When you adopt a turkey, you get a super sweet photo that you can place at the center of your dinner table (or wherever you want!)  http://www.adoptaturkey.org/

Photos from Georgian Court University and Farm Sanctuary Orland, CA
The man himself!

My favorite animal

This goat loved Steve. Followed his every move <3

The sweetest face!

Excuse me, are you taking my photo? Let me pose for you :)

I love this!

The babies were taken away before the were weaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment