Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cranberry Upside Down Cake!

What normal person has several pounds of locally picked cranberries sitting on their counter (besides Shelly)? I have been eyeballing these babies for a couple of days now, wondering what on earth will I do with them all? I woke up this morning after reading my Urban Vegan cookbook before bed and had the answer! Cranberry Upside Down cake!!

The Recipe:

1/2 cup vegan butter divided in half
3/4 cup brown sugar
12 oz fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
I Tbsp soy flour  (I don't have that laying around, so I used 1 Tbsp cornstarch)
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp lemon oil or 1 Tbsp lemon zest. (I used lemon extract bc that is all I had)

 First:

Grease 9 inch cake pan
Melt 1/4 cup butter and brown sugar on stove
Pour mixture into oiled cake pan
Arrange cranberries on top

Next:

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, soy flour (or cornstarch).
In separate bowl, beat the butter with the extracts and soy milk.

Then:

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients = Batter! (yes, you must eat a finger full)

Finally:

Pour the batter over the cranberries and pop in the over for 40 minutes at 350*

When the cake comes out of the oven, run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake pan to prevent sticking. Allow to cool for 30 mins. Flip that baby over on plate of your choice and admire your work!

All washed and ready to go!

Sitting on top of a beautiful butter and brown sugar mixture

Seconds away from the oven

Smells SO good!

Finished product.

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful, like jewels on the top! Is it very tart??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty tart. You could prob cut the amount of cranberries if you are not a big fan. Maybe do half apple half cranberries. :)

    ReplyDelete