Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Gluten Free Soy Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes

I was checking out some pins shared on the VegNews boards today, and I came across something that I had to make asap. I am a big fan of the classic pairing of Lemon and Poppy Seed. I can't help it! I love lemon and the crunch of little poppy seeds keep me entertained. So, I pull up the recipe and start whizzing in the kitchen. *sudden pause* apple puree??? Hmmm, I don't have that. So, I thought, apple sauce! *another pause* don't have that either. Looks around...rotting banana? Perfect! I never follow a recipe. It must be a disease. I was determined to follow this one, but it wasn't in the cards. Luckily I know my substitutions pretty well, and these turned out YUMMY!!

Here is the link to the original pin (gotta give credit where credit is due)
http://www.includingcake.com/2012/09/lemon-poppy-pancakes.html

And here is my version!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Bob's Redmill GF All purpose mix.
¾ tsp baking powder
Tiny pinch salt
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
3 Tbsp Smashed Banana
Juice and Zest of one whole lemon
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1/3 cup Almond Milk with 1 tsp chia seeds mixed in

Method:

Mix the chia seeds and the milk together first and let it get slimy (yum right?) 
Mix all the dry ingredients together
Add mashed banana and mix with a fork
Add in the rest of the ingredients


It makes a think batter, but don't worry, they puff up :)

I use a spray of olive oil on a hot pan and cook until they are done to my liking. I have to apologize to those of you who like a lighter colored pancake. I like when mine have a slightly crunchy skin to it, so they are typically a little darker.

Tada! Serve with whatever makes your heart flutter. In my case, too much earth balance and a ridiculous amount of maple syrup. 

Makes 4 medium sized cakes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment